Things are getting better organized now. I will endeavor to clean more up here soon. My priority has been reducing the number of visible pages so that the last pages are accessible on all platforms. There are 85 pages.
Structure of the Website
This is the new structure of the website. Many pages are embedded. To view embedded pages, look for a right arrow at the end of the folder name. Click on that and the embedded pages are scrolled. Further descriptions need to be re-organized to reflect the new structure and will be soon, hopefully.
folders Are not pages but have pages embedded within them. Folders ++ Are pages but also have pages embedded within them.
Home Navigating this Website Services Craig’s Blog About 6 Alexander Technique Folder What is Alexander Technique find a teacher notes on AT qualifications AT books AT url’s AT and spirituality specialized activities Contact resume
17 Dharma Folder egolessness / egohood warrior’s seat advanced meditation a king’s scepter / hands advanced / freaking out Meditation instruction Samaneri Jayasara Compassion vajra master 26 Nalanda View Folder ++ speech practice / elocution energy medicine / jin shin jyutsu zen archery / warriorship Brush and sword poetry / rumi way of the samurai Ki / Chi Kami / shinto Japanese Tea Ceremony William Reed Tessu Will Johnson bad back sarno-escogue ho’oponoopono / huna Dressage
63 Miscellaneous Folder Macrobiotics short karmamudra Japan trip self enquiry / ramana maharshi Durckheim, Karlfried Prison work golf gold lake oil Christian meditation macrobiotics longer
73 Videos mind/body folder ++ 1. Videos AT + meditation; breathing; hands; gazing Videos/rylance/st. George/feminine video AT walking standing 3. Video resiliance video feminity womb energy video calligraphy
video jin shin jyutsu 2. Video AT dzogchen Head and Shoulders / Great bird resilience / saraha song of mahamudra +++ Video AT dharma lesson ++
At the end I will put a guide to videos here.
As a suggestion, I think one might get to the heart of all of this by watching these videos.
1. AT + meditation, breathing, hands,gazing 2. AT dzogchen 3. AT resilience (on youtube the first one is AT dharma)
They lay out a path of combining alexander technique, mindfulness, and meditation which I plan to continue. It is nice to watch this on the big screen. The youtube channel. I search on youtube for "craig thompson alexander technique".
If the pages are embedded, there is a right arrow at the end. You can click on that to unfurl more pages.
Probably the best way to keep up with the newest material at the moment is to consult the blog.
I have put some stuff about the Shambhala Teachings on this site as it is integral to the main point. I have not put too much about buddhist teachings yet, although that could be some fertile ground for future efforts. I’m getting into some of that in the videos. That’s probably a good and safe place for it.
Talking about hinayana and mahayana buddhism is not very controversial, but presenting vajrayana ideas can be. Trungpa Rinpoche pointed out that teaching the vajrayana without teaching the hinayana is criminal. One doesn’t want that on one’s resume, even though there is a powerful movement occurring, particularly in the nyingma arena, of getting the higher teachings out there. I believe Tulku Urgyen leads the charge on this. I am afraid I have somewhat drunk the kool aid that he gave to me on this topic. At the same time, I am terrified of doing the wrong thing. I am not the only one walking on a razor blade on this powerful and polarizing topic. Perhaps my unrelenting focus on mindfulness gives me some hinayana credibility.
I will try and give a little synopsis of this website. For one thing, it is a moving target. It changes over time. The outer title is “Alexander Technique and Mindfulness.” It celebrates the idea that Alexander Technique is the King of skillful means for mindfulness. It is just incredible how powerfully this skill can advance your mindfulness practice, so much so that the two are really inseparable. They are almost always taught separately but bringing the two together supercharges your dharma practice.
The inner title of this website is “A Nalanda View of the Shambhala Teachings." It has been taught in earlier days that the Shambhala Teachings rest on 3 legs: (1) Shambhala Teachings; (2) the Buddhadharma, particularly the Mahamudra and Dzogchen systems; and (3) "Shambhala Arts" renamed “Contemplative Arts” and which I prefer to call “Nalanda Arts”. The third leg is big with certain people and groups and perhaps overlooked by other busy people and perhaps some who feel that they have practices and skillful means running out of their ears. I wish to bring the messages of the third leg more to the front. Please see the Nalanda View and Shambhala/Nalanda View page.
That message is combine the study of the Alexander Technique with other Arts and progress on the path. Become integrated, meaning that there is not such a significant dropoff in the level of one’s awareness when one steps away from the meditation cushion. Good luck and wishes for your success on the path.
Probably this train is moving on to integrate, in particular, the nyingma style of presenting the buddhadharma. I have been trained also in the mahamudra system and perhaps I can touch on that also although teaching in that style does not come as naturally to me. I just teach the way I teach. Who knows what the level of the student is in this case? I find myself saying the same things alot, but other than that, it’s probably alot about what I have been studying at any one time, but mainly what I have absorbed from many great one’s. I am just a servant of these great beings.
Craig’s Blog I keep what is new up to date and comment on what I am doing here.
Navigating this Website I will try and make a little sense of all of this. I am putting up videos. I did a video/body-mind page. I put up a couple on the Brush and Sword page. Others to follow. Also elocution.
Mainly about Alexander Technique and Mindfulness
Home Services About News Contact what is alexander technique find a teacher
8. notes on AT first part is a little essay on AT this one I combined some stuff on to reduce the # of pages. I will number topics. 1. 3 EZ Questions 2. AT url's + mindfulness 3. Clear Short Explanation what is AT longer alexander/meditation/mindfulness services qualifications url’s mindfulness and AT resume mindfulness essay Constructive Rest 46. mindfulness article this kind of started everything so to speak
AT books AT and spirituality 13. specialized activity / category of students of AT
Also has bigger implications for Meditation practice
warrior’s seat a king’s scepter/ hands qualifications advanced earth walking very advanced gazing advanced meditation seat mindfulness article AT and spirituality meditation egolessness / egohood advanced / freaking out Mind and the Analogy of Horse and Rider Gazing deeper William Reed Tessu karmamudra Will Johnson
Mindfulness and the Dharma
Nalanda View and Practices
speech practice / elocution Brush and Sword Calligraphy 58. Calligraphy Manual--William Reed book--basic how to--exerpts from Kodama's book--the 3 B's-body, brush, breath 59. Calligraphy Manual 2--a William Reed how to 60. Calligraphy Manual 3--first chapter of "Way of the Brush"--an overview of Chinese Painting 61. Calligraphy Manual 4--it has a Zen Calligraphy Manual, Exerpts from Chogyam Trungpa's book, and a chapter from the life of Tessu Calligraphy Examples 52. movement-kind of a resume of my movement activities shambhala / nalanda view vajra fist zen archery / warriorship poetry / rumi Shambhala Nalanda View Way of the Samurai Ki / Chi kami / Shinto Dressage JapaneseTea Ceremony japanese flower arranging / ikebana
Other helpful practices
27. energy medicine / jin shin jyutsu- a healing art 53. movement 2--Gokale Method and Psoas Release Party bad back-sarno-egoscue 39. ho’oponoopono / huna- hawaiian healing system 63. macrobiotics- you will feel just as good as you eat- no dread diseases karmamudra 66. self enquiry / Ramana Maharshi-"Who am I?"
prison work 69. golf- just ask the Shambhala Golf Association Gold Lake Oil
recently added Videos videos mind/body videos AT + meditation; breathing; hands; gazing video AT walking standing Durckheim, Karlfried vajra master
Guide to videos
I made some videos that I put on the website.
74. “videos AT + meditation; breathing; hands; gazing” alexander technique + meditation; AT + mindfulness; Alexander breathing; elegant use of the hands; gazing; eye gazing---------how alexander technique and meditation and/or mindfulness can be joined together to advance one toward one's goals; a lesson in breathing from an alexander technique point of view but also in buddhist meditation. How the two can be combined profitably----------the second part is a bit more for the serious meditator; elegant use of the hands; hands and how one uses them are a very powerful aspect of meditation and mindfulness, "like a king holding a scepter"; gazing or eyes wide open is a very powerful aspect of meditation from the beginning until extreme prominence toward the end of the path
73. “videos mind/body” mind/body synchronization; combining alexander technique with gokhale method and psoas release party to create good use; creative rest, glidewalking; working with a bokken to achieve health and happiness; "eight steps to a pain free back" by Esther Gokhale; "Psoas Release Party" by Jonathan Fitzgordon 73. Constructive Rest A Guide to this powerful self-help tool, inspired by the Alexander Technique, that can help anyone release harmful tension. Constructive rest, sometimes known as "active rest", "semi-supine" or the "Alexander lying-down position" is an extremely effective self-help tool for Alexander Technique students, and for anyone else who wants a simple, practical way of releasing excess tension from their body.
29. “Brush and Sword” page practicing with bokken (wooden sword); kendo; sparring with rubber swords
27. there’s some videos on the elocution page. Not that new.
76. new last page "video AT walking standing" I did another video. 6 parts. 74 minutes. I started out talking about Alexander Technique and walking. About the third video I did walking meditation instruction. I did some on Chi Kung and Tai Chi Chih. I talked some about shamatha-vipayshana. I talked some about gazing.
77. "video resilience" page I did another video. 6 parts. 76 minutes. I was inspired to speak on resilience. Will Johnson describes mind-body meditation in 3 stages or parts. Alignment-relaxation-resilience. I am talking about Alexander Technique and meditation. I speak on good head and shoulders, lha, resilience, being open to tiny movements and energies which are ordinarily ignored, squashed by tension, or regarded as anti-mindfulness. I talk about the great eastern sun.. The 3 kayas. The meaning of dreams (sambhogakaya). Primacy of knowledge of the feeling-tone (emptiness). Will Johnson studied the words of the Buddha on the body in meditation and also Tilopa. He has practiced a vipayssana style of meditation. I tell an ancient telling of the story of St. George and the dragon. I address the issue of trauma and the necessity to be careful when delving into these areas, but how one must also be brave. I told about Amaterasu-omi-kami, the goddess of the great eastern sun and our visit to her shrine at Ise.
79. “video calligraphy”
I did a video on calligraphy practice. Related to Shambhala calligraphy practice but mainly instruction in Zen Calligraphy practice, calligraphy as mindfulness practice, and general principles of calligraphy practice.
I have quite a bit on Calligraphy practice there already.
81. I did a video (8 parts; 110 minutes) on Alexander Technique and the Dharma; mixing AT with meditation and mindfulness–It’s kind of a breakdown of an early series of Alexander Lessons and how that might relate to one’s meditation practice or mindfulness practice. The second part is titled Dzogchen--teachings on the Great Perfection--the pinnacle of meditation. I sort of present some teachings on “The three words that strike the vital point” by Garab Dordje, kind of taken from a book “The Golden Letters”. Also some ideas from Tulku Urgyen. Along the style of his Dzogchen Trilogy.
75. "video/rylance/st. george/feminine"
this page is about mark rylance; the shakespeare authorship question; the nature of the feminine and the need for more leaders who envince these type qualities (womb energy); the tale (the real one) of st. george and the dragon.
videos mind/body videos AT + meditation, breathing; hands; gazing videos/rylance/st. George/feminine video AT walking standing video resiliance video feminity womb energy video calligraphy jin shin jyutsu 2 (energy medicine) macrobiotics Christian meditation video jin shin jyutsu; energy healing
23. Samaneri Jayasara—fabulous youtube channel; non dual texts read aloud with music and an image; dzogchen, avaita vedanta most sublime texts mainly but from every possible wisdom tradition video AT dzogchen 16. Meditation instruction– excerpts by Chogyam Trungpa from a seminal book.
Head and Shoulders / Great Bird resilience / saraha essay on resilience Song of Mahamudra Tilopa's doha For the last year or so, everything has gotten dumped in this page.
New last page Video AT Dharma lesson a series of video AT dharma lessons. first one 50 minutes.
There’s a second one.
A video on the posture of meditation.
A video on breathing and mindfulness.
After this, anything new is best explained on the blog.